Skip to main content
Article thumbnail
Location of Repository

The fundamental role of island arc weathering in the oceanic Sr isotope budget

By Claude Allègre, Pascale Louvat, Jérôme Gaillardet, Laure Meynadier, Sétareh Rad and Françoise Capmas


International audienceWe have re-assessed the Sr isotopic budget of the modern ocean taking into account the high erosion rates of volcanic islands, and especially of island arcs, emphasizing important contribution from subsurface weathering to global budgeting. We propose that intensive weathering on volcanic islands, island arcs and oceanic islands, coupled with large surface and subsurface water fluxes is the missing source of mantle-derived 87Sr/86Sr (0.703) in seawater Sr isotope balance. In our approach, it represents 60% of the actual mantle-like input of Sr to the oceans, the remaining 40% supplied by ridge-crest hydrothermal activity and sea-floor low-temperature alteration of basalts. The seawater Nd isotopic budget is consistent with this interpretation and explains well the regional contributions from ridge crest and island arc activity among the oceans

Topics: strontium isotopes, ocean water, arc volcanism, rivers, erosion, [ SDU.STU ] Sciences of the Universe [physics]/Earth Sciences
Publisher: Elsevier
Year: 2010
DOI identifier: 10.1016/j.epsl.2010.01.019
OAI identifier: oai:HAL:hal-00536117v1
Provided by: Hal-Diderot
Download PDF:
Sorry, we are unable to provide the full text but you may find it at the following location(s):
  • https://hal.archives-ouvertes.... (external link)
  • https://hal.archives-ouvertes.... (external link)
  • https://hal.archives-ouvertes.... (external link)
  • Suggested articles

    To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.