In 1934 Eli Lilly, Indianapolis businessman, president of the Indiana Historical Society, and longtime friend of Indiana history, purchased the house and about 400 acres of farmland. This allowed him to combine his historical pursuits with his interest in farming. He set out immediately to preserve and restore the house. Historic preservation was in its infancy during the 1930s; Lilly did all he could to familiarize himself with aims, objectives and techniques of the work.Use of this image is restricted to projects related to Destination Indiana. IHS may not reproduce.Destination Indiana - Conner Prairie Interactive History Park Journe
To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.