Article thumbnail
Location of Repository

Characterization of the collagen synthesized by endothelial cells in culture.

By B V Howard, E J Macarak, D Gunson and N A Kefalides

Abstract

[14C]Proline and [14C]lysine were incorporated into collagen by cultures of endothelial cells derived from calf aortae. The isomer 3-hydroxy[14C]proline accounted for 10% of the total hydroxy[14C]proline in the collagen isolated from the medium. Approximately 81% of the hydroxy[14C]lysine isolated from the medium was glycosylated, and 91% of the glycosylated hydroxy[14C]lysine was in the form of the disaccharide glucosylgalactose. Gel filtration chromatography or acrylamide gel electrophoresis in the presence of sodium dodecyl sulfate indicated that the initially synthesized peptide chain of [14C]collagen had a molecular weight of about 135,000; after pepsin digestion this was converted to 115,000. The ratio of hydroxy[14C]proline to total [14C]proline x 100 in the pesin-resistant fraction was 59. When examined by immunofluorescence microscopy, the endothelial cultures stained positively with antiserum to (Type IV) collagen from basement membrane of bovine anterior lens capsule. The data indicate that cultured endothelial cells derived from calf aortae synthesize collagen that resembles that of basement membrane collagen

Topics: Research Article
Year: 1976
DOI identifier: 10.1073/pnas.73.7.2361
OAI identifier: oai:pubmedcentral.nih.gov:430566
Provided by: PubMed Central
Sorry, our data provider has not provided any external links therefore we are unable to provide a link to the full text.

Suggested articles


To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.