Springfield College Digital Collections
Not a member yet
    21769 research outputs found

    Image from a contact sheet of the student protests on campus of Springfield College (May 1969)

    No full text
    Image from a contact sheet of the student protests on campus of Springfield College (May 1969). The image shows a man speaking into a bullhorn to a group of students gathered in front of the Administration Building . The photograph was taken by Vincent S. D'Addario

    Gymnasium, International YMCA College, Springfield, Mass.

    No full text
    A postcard of the International YMCA College's, now Springfield College, gymnasium, Judd Gymnasium, from the Northwest. The post card was post marked February 27, 1915. The postcard is a good example of what the building looked like before the center tower was completed in 1926. The postcard is filled out with a message that appears to have been sent by a student staying at the school, perhaps a student, but the full name is not given and is only listed as Gould.Judd Gymnasia was the first building erected on the new land purchased for the YMCA Training School, now Springfield College, along Massasoit Lake in Springfield, Massachusetts. Morrissey and Shea’s Corporation completed construction on the building in September of 1894 and it was formally opened on October 26, 1894. The original gymnasium, known today as East Gymnasium, was where James Naismith taught classes and coached the school’s basketball team, however it is not the gymnasium where basketball was invented. In 1910, trustees authorized the addition of a second gymnasium and swimming pool. The new gymnasium, completed in February of 1912, was designed by architect Edward Lippincott Tilton and known as West Gymnasium. Through the years it has undergone several name changes. The gymnasium was known as west gymnasium until 1953, when the trustees voted that it be named “The Judd Gymnasium”. In 1998 the Gymnasium was renamed the Ruth Evans Gymnasium and in 2010, the Gymnasium received its current name as the Student Union West. The McCurdy Natatorium, a gift of Standard Oil President Herbert Pratt, who requested the pool be named after physical education department head Dr. McCurdy, was completed in April 1913. It was closed on March 18, 1968 and the swimming pool was replaced by Linkletter Natatorium. The Natatorium was remodeled and has served as a dance studio, weight room, the college bookstore and finally, in the spring of 2011, as the Springfield College History Museum which also includes the YMCA Hall of Fame. The top two floors of the tower that sits between the “east” and “west” gymnasiums was not completed until June of 1926. The entire building was renovated in 2010, with occupancy beginning in September of 2010. A formal Ribbon Cutting Ceremony to open Judd Gymnasia was held on October 13, 2010. Another ceremony was held on May 19, 2011 as a Dedication of the Stitzer YMCA Center that makes up a part of the facilities in the building, including the use of the East Gymnasium as a conference center for the YMCA and the Office of YMCA Relations and the YMCA Hall of Fame in the Springfield College History Museum.Note this postcard can also be found in the Cliff Smith Postcard Collection under the number 18518; Series were added to this collection, changing the file name. File names of the uploaded files contain the old name

    The Bulletin (vol. 51, no. 3), October 1976

    No full text
    The Springfield College Bulletin ran from 1927 to 1986. In its first three years, the magazine was only four pages long. Starting in the middle of 1930, the content slowly increased and some issues hit ten pages. In May 1935, the editors redesigned the Bulletin so that it resembled a more traditional magazine layout (e.g. a large image on the cover with the title). Not long after, the magazine grew to over thirty pages. Throughout its run, the Bulletin featured the innovative and compelling work undertaken by the college faculty, students, and alumni. However, it appears to have had a stronger focus on student life, campus events, and college programs than its future incarnations, possibly because it was published with more frequency, averaging eight issues per a volume. In the summer of 1979, the magazine dropped the word “Bulletin” from its title. In 1982, it switched to a quarterly publishing schedule. Four years later, it was replaced by the Alumni Magazine (1986-1991). In 1991, t

    Various newspaper articles on Fred Hoshiyama

    No full text
    These are copies of various newspaper articles on Fred Hoshiyama. There are four articles, including "Team Player Hometown Hero Has Busy Volunteer Schedule" written by ANNE LOUISE BANNON Anne Louise Bannon, "Hoshiyama - "retires" from YMCA staff" appearing in the Venice Community News in August 1980, "RECOGNITION: Two Nisei-Men to be Honored for Communlty Service, Little Tokyo Service Center pays tribute to Fred Hoshiyama and Mark Kiguchi" published in Rafu Shimpo on Sept. 2, 1994, and "Fred Hoshiyama: Living Legend, Hometown Hero written by Paul Katz and appearing in the YMCA publication "Perspectives" in May 2002. These documents talk about the life and achievements of Fred Hoshiyama.For more information on Fred Y. Hoshiyama, see https://springfield.as.atlas-sys.com/agents/people/753All these documents were collected by the staff of the YMCA Hall of Fame in the Office of the YMCA Relations, and used to produce various articles about Fred Hoshiyama's life

    Brief "Bio" of Fred Yaichio Hoshiyama

    No full text
    This is a two page document listing biography information on Fred Yaichio Hoshiyama. Document includes information on family, career, and awards.For more information on Fred Y. Hoshiyama, see https://springfield.as.atlas-sys.com/agents/people/753The address on this document has been blacked out for publication online.

    “Title IX at 50: Educate & Advocate” - Kathy Mangano, EdD 2023

    No full text
    This document titled “Title IX at 50: Educate & Advocate” is the Humanics Lecture that was given at Springfield College on April 18, 2023 by the 2022-2023 Distinguished Professor of Humanics, Professor of Physical Education, Kathleen Mangano. Professor Mangano's lecture recaps her activities over the previous year that sought to educate people about and advocate for the strengthening of Title IX during the 50th year since its passing in 1972.Humanics is a word that has a special meaning in the history and philosophy of Springfield College, as well as in the college’s motto of “Spirit, Mind, and Body.” The Oxford English Dictionary defines Humanics as, “the subject or study of human affairs or relations, especially of the human element of a problem or situation as opposed to the mechanical.” In 1962, Dr. Glenn Olds, President of Springfield College at the time, began to wonder why this name was given to the intended philosophy of the college by Dr. Laurence Locke Doggett, Springfield College’s first full-time president. Olds acknowledged that the practices of the faculty were in large part consistent with the Humanics philosophy, but he believed that a more self-conscious application would improve chances of its continuity and survival. To ensure this, a Distinguished Professor of Humanics position was created at the college, first filled by Dr. Seth Arsenian from 1966-1969. The purpose of this position was to catalyze a renewal of consciousness in the philosophy. This was done by annually mandating the Distinguished Professor of Humanics to give a Humanics lecture on the definition of Humanics and what the concept means to them. Arsenian started this tradition in 1967 with his speech titled, “The Meaning of Humanics,” in which he described the concept as a set of ideas, values, and goals that make our college distinct from other colleges and make commitment and unity toward commonly sought goals possible

    Letter to William L. Wood from Jesse L. Parks (June 1, 1962)

    No full text
    This is a copy of a letter written by Jesse L. Parks to William L. Wood and dated June 1, 1962. In the letter Dr. Parks welcomes Wood to Operation Crossroads and tells him a bit about the upcoming project in Senegal.To learn more about Dr. Jesse Parks, see: https://springfield.as.atlas-sys.com/agents/people/70

    SC's Locklin Spurns 7 Black Demands (February 22, 1969)

    No full text
    A newspaper article titled "SC's Locklin Spurns, 7 Black Demands" dated February 22, 1969. The publisher is not identified. It is part of a scrapbook and had been cut out of the paper and glued into the scrapbook. The article talks about the students response to Springfield College's president, Wilbert E. Locklin's reaction to the seven demands of the college's black students. The article also outlines Locklin's responses to the demands and some of his statements. Please note: There is some doubt as to whether these two pages go together or if they are from different articles.Materials contained within this scrapbook were removed from the original physical scrapbook due to preservation issues. Most documents were originally glued to the pages of the scrapbook, but the glue was failing and the documents were becoming loose and were falling out of the scrapbook. Documents may already have lost their original order and/or may have been lost due to this damage. The damage was getting worse with every use. Therefore, to protect the documents and to facilitate use of the documents, the documents were remove. The documents were left in the order that they were found at the time of removal

    Men's Soccer Brochure (1973)

    No full text
    This is a brochure for the 1973 men’s soccer team at Springfield College. The cover has hand-drawn portraits of the team’s co-captains: Dave Jones and Mike Stuber. The inside has the schedule (for both varsity and freshman), roster, and the previous season’s results. The roster includes information about the athlete’s position, height, weight, class, age, and hometown. On the back is a biography of Coach Irv Schmid and the school’s forecast for the upcoming season.During the 1973 season, the team had 13-4-1 record. A native of Hartford, Connecticut, Coach Irvin R. Schmid graduated from Wethersfield High School and attended Springfield College (class of 1943). While an undergraduate, Schmid was an All-American soccer player, outstanding gymnast, and middle distance runner on the track team. After World War II, he returned to Springfield College, received his master’s degree in 1948, and became head soccer coach the same year. In 1968, he received the Honor Award of the National Soccer Coaches Association of America. During his thirty-six years at the school (1948-1984), he earned an overall coaching record of 271-162-50 and a winning percentage of .613. Under his leadership, the men’s soccer team won multiple New England Championships, a National Championship, and an ECAC Regional Championship. In 1972, he received the highest award presented by the Pioneer Valley Soccer Officials, the Larry Briggs Award. He was a founder of a Springfield boy’s soccer league, director of a boy’s camp for soccer, president of the National Soccer Coaches Association of America, and member of the United States Olympic Committee for soccer

    Leon M. Smith standing outside with group

    No full text
    This photograph shows Leon M. Smith standing outside with two women and another man in front of bushes.Smith graduated from International YMCA College with a degree in physical and health education, and a minor in general science. Smith played on the Freshman team and varsity soccer and track teams for three years (captain senior year). He joined the soccer, volleyball, wrestling, water polo and baseball class teams. He was a member of the varsity and De Molay club for two years, and on the freshman pageant committee. He was an instructor of gymnastics at the Chestnut Street junior high school during the winter of 1934, and was a teacher at the Olivet Community House Sunday group during the winter of 1932.This photograph was part of a scrapbook, probably created by Leon Smith. The pictures were removed from the scrapbook prior to their arrival to the archives. They were removed from the scrapbook pages and scanned individually


    full texts


    metadata records
    Updated in last 30 days.
    Springfield College Digital Collections is based in US
    Access Repository Dashboard
    Do you manage Open Research Online? Become a CORE Member to access insider analytics, issue reports and manage access to outputs from your repository in the CORE Repository Dashboard! 👇