

CGA Minutes

3/11/13

Meeting begins at 8:30

UPDATES

Ryan- BIKESHARE : Collin wants to do a once a semester rental program which is the exact opposite of what we want to do.

Brad What was the program?

Ryan: The bike share program is trying to create a computer program to do the check out work for the fitness center so their workload is reduced

Niko: Did you propose this to Collin?

Ryan: Not yet, I'm trying to get a better idea of the program.

Aaron: The fitness center rep doesn't quite understand the program completely

***A collective murmur of, "Huh? What? Eh?" ***

Ryan: Jenine is in charge of this thing and right now they are recording who checks them out at what time and whether or not they are returned.

Aaron: Jenine is my roommate so I'll talk to her. *(So convenient wow)*

Niko: We'll stay tuned in for updates then.

Ryan: Yep! Next week! It sounds like this will not become a reality until after spring break.

Aaron: Or over spring break I can do it .

Rya: sure, cool!

Dylan: I will have have the info on the library delamping by next week

COMFORIMATION FOR ALLOCATION THURSDAY

Niko: This is to accommodate Amber's schedule to talk about the LED exit sign to meet at Thursday, 4:00 pm. Just wanted to confirm.

Ryan: Can't make it, you can cut me out for it.

Angelica: How about five so all the voting members can be present.

Niko: That sounds fine.

Dylan: I forgot I was a voting member

Collective laugh

It has been confirmed for Thursday at five

ENERGY CONSERVATION PROJECT

Niko: Angelica, have we concluded the topic?

Angelica: At this point I thought we were going to do an initiative thing. We wanted to brainstorm how we are going to do the entire thing and how to get people to be more encouraged to save energy.

Brad: What happened to the green slips in mailbox?

Niko: I was thinking we can print out the sustainability guides because I have updated them recently.

Ryan: UF has a green guide and it is very organized. You can facebook search UF green guide and get some ideas from them.

Dylan: Maybe we can meet over the weekend for this. Niko, Dylan, and Angelica will try to help out.

Ryan: I can try!

THE ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES Symposium

Niko: Skipping until Taylor is here. Has Sam and Forrester have attended previous meeting?

THE GREAT SUNFLOWER PROJECT

Destinee: Pollinator population is rapidly declining. If we plant pollinator friendly flowers, we can record this data and help this. This will be a good way for students to get involved!

Ben: If you go to the native plant restoration area there are a lot of bees there and you can track them there. So we can try that.

Angelica: They mentioned that you can use any sort of plant.

Brad mentions something about a loud lady???

Niko: Do you know Audra? Audra is the garden TA and you can talk to her and you can talk to her about the caples community garden. As far as a project goes I'm down. And I think we can do a native plant thing and encourage native plant growth.

Aaron: Do you know that place behind the library with the flowers? We can plant places there.

Sam: Pei planters can be good source!

Angelica: Its hard to depend on students to maintain plants and we already do have flowering plants and you can find out what flowers attract a certain bee.

Destinee: I think if students really care about this issue and join this, we wouldn't have to worry about depending on students.

Aaron: This may be a crazy idea but we used to have a water fountain in the pei court and I wonder if the water timer is there and we can set up a bed of flowers were there.

****Another mention about loud lady and I am confused****

Brad: Create a plan and organize and make sure you have everything in order so we can get this going!

Destinee: I just wanted your feedback and since I have support then we can make this happen. I was thinking we can maybe intertwine this with Earth Day.

GOAL BRAINSTORM:

Dylan: SMASH THE OIL INDUSTRYYYY

We really liked this goal

Ryan: Can we just smash the entire oil industry?? But speaking of which, we should set a goal to reduce automobile use by students.

Aaron: can we reduce light pollution?

This got a bunch of snapz and also YESSSS

Dan: we should come up with a way to measure if people are driving less

Ryab: One thing I plan is to put out a survey on transportation by student and see how often they drive and keep an eye on cars that are brought on campus every year. We can reduce the number by spreading awareness on the bike program and different alternatives.

Angelica: Car pooling is better. I rather promote car pooling than stop care use completely.

Dylna: So Elaine and Jason has this project where u-HAUL lend some cars based on demand.

Ryan : I have heard of this and they keep them on campus?

Dyaln :Yes.

Ryan: I want to see this happen I would love to work with this.

Ryan: It depend on rentals. Can we add car share on campus a goal?

Brad: Can we improve food with sodexo?

Angelica: Yes I would like for them to be more sustainable.

Destine: Paint recycle bins. CAN WE TACKLE THIS ALREADY.

***Collective “yeaahhhss” and “ughhhs” ***

Angelica: We should add more awareness for recycling and additional information.

Destinee: Where are the compost bins in ham?

Niko: Compost bin is outside ham

Aaron: Recycling bin in letter dorms - who sorts the materials?

Ben: In most places they are working on single stream and sort them elsewhere.

Brad: Marine ecology going with the bay?

Destinee: Talk to Gilchrist, possible bay clean up.

Niko: I want to create a green revolving fund.

Angelica: What about bike shelters?

Ryan: Bike shelters are really expensive but we can use other areas and put them into use.

Niko: There are people who are not showing up so if you see people, (Forrestor lol) tell them to come up. If you are an elected or appointed member or else you can be removed from your position. Next week we can have a full meeting and narrow goals down and get some updates!!

Meeting ends at 9:00pm *(We covered a lot in half an hour, yay us)*

