

CGA Minutes

09/19/2013

Members here: Niko, Angelica, Aaron, Ethan, Vanessa, Ryan

Members not present: David, Dylan, Taylor

## UPDATES

Angelica: I talked to Jerry today and they're looking at new ceramic ham plates. They break easier but they're also heavier. He's thinking of one of the ones that cost \$500. They're \$1.50 per plate. I feel like the heavier plates will last longer because people will be less inclined to steal them. Also I know a lot of the dorms don't have carpet so having a plate around like that wouldn't even be an advantage so people would bring them back just because people would be afraid they would get broken. We should find out exactly how heavy they are. Also these ones are white which are nice and boring and not exciting which means people won't want them around as much. He said some colors went much faster than others, like dark blue and jade green.

Ethan: The fruit trees - there's supposed to be someone from the Catalyst at the Landscape meeting this morning and here now. Trying to see where we are on putting labels on the fruit trees. Also seeing if we have a comprehensive map of the trees. If not I'll ask Michael Williams, see if we can get that and I'll make it more public.

Niko: Somebody messaged me to tell me about an invasive plant removal.

Ethan: Which plant is it?

Niko: There's this event called Take Back our Park at North Water Tower park Oct. 19. Do you think this is something you'd be interested in trying to organize something around, Vanessa?

Vanessa: That's during fall break.

Angelica: That would work as like an Alternative Fall break kinda thing.

Vanessa: I'll be here but I know campus can be pretty empty. By that time some people might be back on campus so it might be worth trying to organize an event, I'll think about it.

Niko :It looks like the weekend after fall break, some people will still be gone. I'll forward you the info. It seems like a good thing to do.

Aaron: Did you talk about how Zack Poe was thinking of redoing positions? During the last CSA meeting Zack Poe brought up that it might be a good idea to trim the CSA and remove positions that aren't completely necessary, one because a lot of people aren't going and two because it's hard to get stuff done with such a big body, and three some positions don't need to be there are the arguments he's bringing up. That might affect us, or get rid of one or two green reps.

Angelica: I think he was gonna ask the people themselves if they wanted to hold their positions. I saw his point but a lot of it was people aren't coming to meetings.

Vanessa: So the Green Affairs didn't used to be required to attend those meetings. When Niko and I had those, it was introduced later on that we would need to go. They wouldn't need to eliminate those positions to decide that you aren't necessary positions.

Angelica: We could also have it so like, only one has to attend a meeting.

Niko: Can you just make it very clear to Zack that he should not eliminate any positions in the CGA before talking to me?

Aaron: He's not going to. He was just talking about it. I talked to him afterwards and his reasoning for the green affairs rep was that the green affairs rep used to be really important because we didn't have a CGA, but now that we do have a CGA...

Angelica: We've had the Green Affairs rep along with the CGA. It never existed before the CGA.

Ethan: It seems like he's trying to eliminate positions in the CSA, not cut them. Just for the meetings.

Niko: It sounds like it's probably not an issue. If it is, he'll talk to us. I don't think we need to discuss it. Any other items before we get to the green fee workshop?

Ethan: The landscape meeting? There's a lot of things we went over. Nothing pressing.

Niko: On our last agenda item. I think we can end this meeting really early, have a more full meeting next week. This is a really hectic week for me. For the Green Fee workshop, we're doing it in Palm Court. I went to Shannon today and I put in the event request, and we're getting some tables, and I can use my discretionary for food, so we don't need to put that request. I have flyers we printed out today, however I looked at the weather and it's supposed to rain every day until -

Ryan: December!

Niko: - the 26th, which is a day beforehand. For now, let's put these posters in places inside. Can I just give these out to whoever wants them and we'll put them out in our own free time?

*\*General agreement\**

Ryan: Do you still need me to change the date on them?

Niko: No, I did that. I'm really lousy at Photoshop. I'm gonna take four, maybe...let's talk four each. Important locations are Ham, ACE building. Those are probably the two most important.

Ryan: Also mail room, laundry rooms, common room. I'll put a bunch up as well.

Niko: Does anyone want to say anything about how they want to see the workshop structured? In the past we basically would have some people give presentations of what the green fee is and what past allocations were, then have break out groups and just have discussion about

what potential other projects we could do and then convene and discuss and put together a list of cool directions we could take it in. This is also the initial workshop, we usually have a few. It's only September and it's due in February. Are there other things anybody wants to do?

Ryan: I liked how last year we did break out groups and talked out some ideas in our heads. I thought that was really productive. My group thought about different sustainability goals at NCF and developed a couple of ideas that were useful. It's also fun.

Niko: Anybody have cool ideas for food to bring? The sushi? Since this is coming out of my discretionary, that'll be easy, I'll just get Dawn to give you \$40. Are there any other things that we would like to see - it seems like this is a pretty mellow event. It's not new so we don't have to put a ton of effort into it. Are there other things people would like to see us do this semester? Nothing. We won't do anything.

Angelica: I feel like all the exciting things have been taken. A lot of the things we want to do are really big projects that'll take more time now. I'm sure there are things none of us have thought of but I feel like a lot of them are the really most obvious ones.

Ethan: I guess I'll be working mostly with the landscape committee but we're working on getting a *lot* of trees. We're trying to get volunteers and get some donation from the Alumnae foundation.

Niko: Maybe one behind the bus stop? Also if you could raise at the landscape meeting. I've planted six fruit trees by hand and they're the only trees Physical Plant doesn't take care of, and they've established well and it would be nice to know when I leave Physical Plant will take care of them. Also, Sam and Dan have a lot of grand plans for the reserve funds we have and CITF funds, and we're gonna meet sometime and try to plan some big thing for solar water heating and incorporating that into an incorporating green fund. We talked briefly about it. Okay, cool, is that is?

Aaron: One minor point. Do we have canopy tents available to set up for the green fee workshop in palm court?

Niko: No.

Angelica: The NCSA should get tents. There are plenty of events where we would need tents - like club fair. We could use some of the reserve fund to buy tents.

Niko: For this specific event I set the rain reserve for HCL7 and if it looks like it's gonna rain, we can send an email out that we're moving it. Cool.

Angelica: I think these posters don't mention that there's free food.

Ryan: Actually yeah, free sushi is a pretty good incentive. Draw it in in crayon.

Niko: Unless there's anything else, it looks like that's it. Remember to put these up. One thing is in like most of the events, the one thing that we've been terribly late on is putting flyers up. So let's just put these up as soon as possible. I would like to do this round and then put more flyers up like three days beforehand. And I'll send out a forum post soon.

Ryan: We can also change design a few days out and that way people will notice them.

Niko: Is that Ryan volunteering to make another poster.

Ryan: I haven't done photoshop in like a year... I can try. Yeah.