Article thumbnail

Fiber degradability of sugar cane bagasse treated by alkaline solutions, through the “in situ” nylon bag technique

By Sérgio Carlo Franco Morgulis, Laércio Melotti, Carlos de Sousa Lucci, Oziel Bizutti and Gilberto Braun

Abstract

Sugar cane bagasse was treated by immersion in one of these solutions: A) NaOH 2% volume/weigth; B) wood ash solution 30% volume/weight and C) water alone. Treated bagasse made up 60% of dry matter ration, and the remaining 40% constituted of concentrate (corn, full fat soybean and cotton meal). Six fistulated steers in a change-over design 3x3 were used, for evaluation of fiber degradability in the rumen, through the “in situ” nylon bag technique. Dry matter degradability at 48h incubation time was: A = 75.1%; B = 34.2% and C = 24.2%; NDF degradability of NaOH treated bagasse (A) was higher than in B or C treatments; degradability of B was higher than in C at 72h and 96h of incubation time. NDF degradability at 48 hour incubation time showed the following results: A = 74.0%; B = 41.6% and C = 35.7%. In conclusion, alkaline (NaOH and wood ash) treated sugar cane bagasse improves ruminal degradability, and NaOH is better than wood ash

Topics: Cana-de-açúcar, Bovinos, Digestibilidade., Animal culture, SF1-1100
Publisher: Universidade de São Paulo
Year: 1996
OAI identifier: oai:doaj.org/article:2050bba589d34ca48a3f47f5365beec3
Journal:
Download PDF:
Sorry, we are unable to provide the full text but you may find it at the following location(s):
  • https://doaj.org/toc/1678-4456 (external link)
  • https://doaj.org/toc/1413-9596 (external link)
  • http://www.revistas.usp.br/bjv... (external link)
  • https://doaj.org/article/2050b... (external link)
  • Suggested articles


    To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.