Article thumbnail
Location of Repository

Sialadenosis in Patients with Advanced Liver Disease

By James Guggenheimer, John M. Close and Bijan Eghtesad

Abstract

Sialadenosis (sialosis) has been associated most often with alcoholic liver disease and alcoholic cirrhosis, but a number of nutritional deficiencies, diabetes, and bulimia have also been reported to result in sialadenosis. The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of sialadenosis in patients with advanced liver disease. Patients in the study group consisted of 300 candidates for liver transplantation. Types of liver disease in subjects with clinical evidence of sialadenosis were compared with diagnoses in cases who had no manifestations of sialadenosis. The data were analyzed for significant association. Sialadenosis was found in 28 of the 300 subjects (9.3%). Among these 28 cases, 11 (39.3%) had alcoholic cirrhosis. The remaining 17 (60.7%) had eight other types of liver disease. There was no significant association between sialadenosis and alcoholic cirrhosis (P = 0.389). These findings suggest that both alcoholic and non-alcoholic cirrhosis may lead to the development of sialadenosis. Advanced liver disease is accompanied by multiple nutritional deficiencies which may be exacerbated by alcohol. Similar metabolic abnormalities may occur in patients with diabetes or bulimia. Malnutrition has been associated with autonomic neuropathy, the pathogenic mechanism that has been proposed for sialadenosis

Topics: Original Paper
Publisher: Humana Press Inc
OAI identifier: oai:pubmedcentral.nih.gov:2715456
Provided by: PubMed Central

Suggested articles

Citations

  1. Alcoholic (beer) sialosis.
  2. (1997). Alcoholic parotid sialadenosis.
  3. Asymptomatic parotid swelling and isoproterenol.
  4. (2002). Bilateral parotid swelling: a review. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod.
  5. (2001). Diseases of the salivary glands. In:
  6. Histological analysis of parotid and submandibular glands in chronic alcohol abuse: a necropsy study.
  7. Issues of malnutrition and bone disease in patients with cirrhosis.
  8. (2006). Liver transplantation.
  9. (1977). Metabolic and endocrine influences on the salivary glands. Otolaryngol Clin North Am.
  10. Nutrition and chronic liver disease.
  11. (2006). Nutrition in gastrointestinal diseases.
  12. (2005). Nutrition in liver disease. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care.
  13. Nutritional aspects of liver disease and transplantation.
  14. Pathogenesis and assessment of malnutrition in liver disease.
  15. Protein metabolism in alcoholism: effects on specific tissues and the whole body.
  16. Protein metabolism in liver cirrhosis: from albumin to muscle myofibrils. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care.
  17. Salivary gland disorders. Neoplastic and nonneoplastic.
  18. (1996). The effects of ethanol on salivary glands.

To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.