Article thumbnail

Combination therapy with irinotecan and cisplatin as neoadjuvant chemotherapy in locally advanced cervical cancer

By T Sugiyama, T Nishida, S Kumagai, S Nishio, K Fujiyoshi, N Okura, M Yakushiji, M Hiura and N Umesaki

Abstract

To evaluate the response rate and toxicity of the combination of irinotecan (CPT-11) and cisplatin in a neoadjuvant setting, a phase II study was conducted regarding the regimen of this combination in patients with locally advanced cervical cancer. Eligibility included patients with previously untreated stage Ib2, IIb, or IIIb squamous cell carcinoma with good performance status. CPT-11 (60 mg m−2) was administered intravenously on days 1, 8 and 15, followed by cisplatin (60 mg m−2) given intravenously on day 1. Treatment was repeated every 4 weeks for a total of two or three cycles. Among 23 eligible patients (median age: 59 years), three showed complete response (13%), 15 showed partial response (65%), for an overall response rate of 78% (95% confidence interval 58–90%). Stable disease was observed in four cases (17%) and progressive disease in one (4%). The median time to failure and median survival time have not yet been reached. Of the 52 treatment cycles administered, diarrhoea and grade 3 or 4 neutropenia were observed in 10% and 75% respectively. There were no therapy-related deaths. The combination of CPT-11 with cisplatin is a promising regimen for neoadjuvant chemotherapy in locally advanced cervical cancer. The toxicities of this regimen are well tolerated. © 1999 Cancer Research Campaig

Topics: Regular Article
Publisher: Nature Publishing Group
OAI identifier: oai:pubmedcentral.nih.gov:2374351
Provided by: PubMed Central

To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.

Suggested articles

Citations

  1. (1995). Oncol 9: 970—977
  2. (1987). Phase II randomized trial of cisplatin chemotherapy of recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the cervix: a Southwest Oncology Group Study.
  3. (1994). Synergistic enhancement of cisplatin cytotoxicity by SN-38, an active metabolite of CPT-11, for cisplatin-resistant HeLa cells.