Article thumbnail

Panoramic view of Sonora Town from Fort Moore Hill looking north over Castelar (or Castellar?) Street, ca.1885

By 

Abstract

Photograph of a panoramic view of Sonora Town, from Fort Moore Hill looking north over Castelar (or Castellar?) Street, ca.1885. The town consists of street blocks of houses and small buildings. Mountains are visible in the distance.; "Sonoratown, former Mexican downtown residential neighborhood. Mexicans returning from the California Gold Rush in the mid-1850s settled in adobes north of the Plaza Church, along North Main and North Broadway, and on the hilly streets north and west of the Plaza, including Alpine and Buena Vista. The long, low, whitewashed adobes were homes and shops to poor, working-class Mexicans, many from the Mexican province of Sonora. The Plaza Church was their cultural anchor. By the early 1900s, however, the arrival of the railroad, the spread of industry and commerce, and the southward spread of real estate development all gradually undermined Sonoratown as a residential neighborhood." -- Leanord and Dale Pitt

Topics: cities, Los Angeles County -- Los Angeles -- Sonora Town -- General, Plazas
Publisher: University of Southern California. Libraries
Year: 2000
OAI identifier: oai:digitallibrary.usc.edu:p15799coll65/25386
Provided by: USC Digital Library
Download PDF:
Sorry, we are unable to provide the full text but you may find it at the following location(s):
  • http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/... (external link)
  • Suggested articles


    To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.