Background: Liquefied petroleum gas geysers are used very frequently for heating water in developing countries such as India. However, these gas geysers emit various toxic gases; one among them is colorless, odorless carbon monoxide (CO). In the past few years, there were reports of unexplained loss of consciousness in the bathroom. However, the exact cause for these episodes has been recognized as toxic encephalopathy due to toxic gases inhalation mainly CO. Objective: To analyze the clinical profile and outcome of patients brought with loss of consciousness in the bathroom while bathing using gas geyser. Materials and Methods: Case records of patients with the diagnosis of gas geyser syndrome from 2013 to 2015 were retrieved and analyzed. Twenty-four cases were identified and included in the study. This was a retrospective, descriptive study. Results: Twenty-four patients were brought to our Emergency Department with loss of consciousness in the bathroom while bathing. Twenty-one cases had loss of consciousness during bathing and recovered spontaneously. Two cases were found dead in the bathroom and were brought to the Department of Forensic Medicine for postmortem. One case was brought in deep altered state of consciousness and succumbed to illness within 1 week.Conclusion: Awareness regarding CO intoxication due to usage of ill-fitted, ill-ventilated gas geyser is necessary as they are entirely preventable conditions
To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.