Article thumbnail

Indiana School of Art was Located in the Circle Hall Building on Monument Circle

By W.H. Bass Photo Shop

Abstract

In 1889 Steele opened the “Indiana School of Art” on Monument Circle where he was soon joined by fellow artist, William Forsyth. Steele and his wife Mary were active in the Portfolio Club and over the years Steele wrote and presented several papers on art and Mary read her paper "Impressions" about their years in Munich. Steele’s reputation as leader of the “Hoosier School” of painting had grown outside of Indiana and by 1895 he resigned from the art school to devote more time to his painting

Topics: Steele, T, C. (Theodore Clement), 1847-1926; Artists; Forsyth, William, 1854-1935; Schools
Publisher: Indiana Historical Society
Year: 1890
OAI identifier: oai:images.indianahistory.org:P0130/1824
Download PDF:
Sorry, we are unable to provide the full text but you may find it at the following location(s):
  • http://images.indianahistory.o... (external link)

  • To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.

    Suggested articles