Article thumbnail
Location of Repository

St. Xavier Cathedral and Library in Vincennes

By 

Abstract

The cathedral is now the Basilica of St. Francis Xavier. Begun in 1826, the cathedral took 14 years to complete. In 1962 the structure of soft red brick topped with a 102-ft.-high frame was restored to the original finish. A small bell, brought from France in 1742 still hangs in the belfry. The church is named in honor of the 16th century Basque Jesuit missionary St. Francis Xavier and his namesake, and another Jesuit priest, Father Franics Xavier de Guinne, who visited thesettlement from time to time. The library is the small building next to it

Topics: Churches; Catholic churches; Cathedrals; Knox County (Ind.)
Publisher: Indiana Historical Society
Year: 1900
OAI identifier: oai:images.indianahistory.org:P0391/1214
Download PDF:
Sorry, we are unable to provide the full text but you may find it at the following location(s):
  • http://images.indianahistory.o... (external link)
  • Suggested articles


    To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.