Article thumbnail
Location of Repository

Map of Camp Morton, 1862

By Sixtieth Regiment Indiana Volunteers Adapted from contemporary map by E. S. Thrall

Abstract

Named after Governor Morton, the site was on a tract of land bordered by 22nd Street, Talbott Avenue, 19th Street and Central Avenue in Indianapolis. It housed political prisoners as well as Confederate soldiers. The drawing shows the placement of buildings, tents, and stables at Camp Morton. The following legend is provided on p. 41, in the book "Camp Morton 1861-1865: Indianapolis Prison Camp" by Hattie Lou Winslow and Joseph R. H. Moore, Indiana Historical Society, 1995: 1. Entrance, 2. Officer of gate, 3. Drummers, 4. Barber, 5. Picture gallery, 6. Majors, 7. Chaplain, 8. Steward, 9. Colonel, 10. Magazine, 11. Stable, 12. Wagon master, 13. Gate, 20. Gate, 21. Commissary, 63rd Regiment, 22-23. Prisoners' tents, shed, 24. Preacher's stand (Parson Brownlow), 25. Surgeon, 26. Sutler, 27. Picture car, 28. Post office, 29. Barracks, 30. Doctor, 31. Hospital tent, 32. Receiving hospital, 33. Dispensary, 34. Prisoners' tent, 35-39. Barracks 1-5 + Sentinels, Guard companies, unless otherwise indicated belonged to the 60th regiment. Batteries were Captain Coulson's, Captain Nicklin's, and Captain Von Schlen's. The stream "Potomac" on the map is the "State Ditch," created earlier to handle overflow from Fall Creek.The 36 acre prison camp was located between what are now 19th and 22nd Streets, and between Central Avenue and Talbott Street. The land had been established as state fairgrounds. In 1861 it was converted to a military training camp, and named after the governor. In 1862 the facilities were used to house Confederate prisoners of war. Approximately 4,000 prisoners arrived in February of that year. In the summer of 1864 the prisoner population reached nearly 5,000. Weary of fighting many took the oath of allegiance to the United States Constitution and to the Union according to Lincoln's Proclamation of Amnesty and Reconstruction of 8 December 1863. On 1 April 1865 1,408 prisoners were at the camp. In June 1865 the last of the Confederate prisoners were released. In 1868 the State Fair returned to this location, where it continued to be held until 1892

Topics: Prisons; Maps; United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Prisoners and prisons; Camp Morton (Ind.)
Publisher: Indiana Historical Society
Year: 1862
OAI identifier: oai:images.indianahistory.org:dc008/7
Download PDF:
Sorry, we are unable to provide the full text but you may find it at the following location(s):
  • http://images.indianahistory.o... (external link)
  • Suggested articles


    To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.