As the government removed the Delaware Indians west across the Mississippi River, Conner shifted his attention to land speculation, agriculture and mercantile trade with white newcomers. In 1820 he abandoned his Delaware wife and married a newly arrived white woman. In late 1823 Conner built a large two-story brick home, one of the first brick houses in central Indiana. Set on 1,000 acres along White River, his farm became the first seat of government in Hamilton County. The inset shows Delaware towns along the White River, circa 1800.Use of this image is restricted to projects related to Destination Indiana. IHS may not reproduce.Destination Indiana - Conner Prairie Interactive History Park Journe
To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.