Article thumbnail
Location of Repository

Shopping in Broad Ripple

By 

Abstract

Broad Ripple has always been self-sustaining. In the 1950s, several stores, Wm. H. Block Co., L. Strauss, Kroger and Standard Grocery, an early self-serve grocery store, opened in the area to allow north-side residents to shop closer to home. Block’s was established on Broad Ripple Avenue in 1954, operating until a larger store moved into Glendale Mall in 1958. While the other stores are long gone, Kroger remains an integral part of the village.Image courtesy broadripplehistory.org Use of this image is restricted to projects related to Destination Indiana. IHS may not reproduce

Topics: Broad Ripple (Indianapolis, Ind.); Block's Department Store Building (Indianapolis, Ind.); Shopping; Storefronts; Display of merchandise
Publisher: broadripplehistory.org
Year: 1950
OAI identifier: oai:images.indianahistory.org:V0002/3039
Download PDF:
Sorry, we are unable to provide the full text but you may find it at the following location(s):
  • http://images.indianahistory.o... (external link)
  • Suggested articles


    To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.