Residents building an ocean side swimming pool at Cremorne, Sydney, ca. 1920, 2 [picture].

Abstract

Title devised from accompanying information where available.; Part of the: Fairfax archive of glass plate negatives.; Fairfax number: 783.; A harbour pool was created by residents at Shell Cove on the eastern edge of Cremorne Point. Believed to have initially been the work of the Olympic swimmer and Cremorne Point resident Frederick Lane, the pool was maintained for and by the locals, in particular, Hugh MacCallum, founder of a subscription club for the pool's care and upkeep. A badge of honour for subscribers was devised by MacCallum, emblazoned with the letters CBP which stood for Cremorne Bathing Pool. In the late 1920s and early 1930s, governments became more aware of health issues regarding harbourside pool hygiene. At this time, many councils were constructing official swimming pools based on Olympic and Empire games standards. They were more wary of the dangers of unofficial harbourside pools, and in 1930 North Sydney Council took over the management of the Shell Cove rock pool and named it the Hugh J MacCallum Pool.--Cremorne Point http://www.dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/cremorne_point (viewed 28/3/14); Also available online at: http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-vn6341639; Acquired from Fairfax Media, 2012

Similar works

Full text

thumbnail-image

National Library of Australia Digital Object Repository

Full text is not available
oai:nla.gov.au:nla.pic-vn6341639Last time updated on 5/26/2016

Having an issue?

Is data on this page outdated, violates copyrights or anything else? Report the problem now and we will take corresponding actions after reviewing your request.