Article thumbnail

Sant'Agnese in Agone

By Francesco Borromini and Carlo Rainaldi

Abstract

View of the north bell tower; The original plan was conceived by Girolamo Rainaldi, continued by his son, Carlo Rainaldi, and completed, especially the facade and towers, by Borromini. "The church must be regarded as the High Baroque revision of the centralized plan for St. Peter's. The dome of St. Agnese has a distinct place in a long line of domes dependent on Michelangelo's creation - here dome and towers form a grand unit, perfectly balanced in scale. Never before had it been possible for a beholder to view at a glance such a rich and varied group of towers and dome - here the spatial reversal of the facade of S. Ivo is repeated." (p. 142) Source: Wittkower, Rudolph ; revised by Joseph Connors and Jennifer Montagu.; Art and architecture in Italy 1600-1750, 6th ed., rev., New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press, 1999 (0300078900) (accessed 11/9/2007

Topics: architectural exteriors, Baroque
Year: 1652
OAI identifier: oai:dome.mit.edu:1721.3/118782
Provided by: MIT Libraries Dome
Download PDF:
Sorry, we are unable to provide the full text but you may find it at the following location(s):
  • http://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/1... (external link)
  • Suggested articles


    To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.