Article thumbnail

Place Jacques Cartier

By unknown

Abstract

View of the square with bordering streets, during summer pedestrian-only use, looking southeast towards Old Port; In 1723, the Château Vaudreuil was built for Philippe de Rigaud, Marquis de Vaudreuil, and its formal gardens occupied the space that is now the square. The Chateau burned down in 1803 and it was suggested by that the space be transformed into a public square, known as New Market Place. It functioned as a farmers market until the 1950s. In 1809, Montreal's oldest public monument was raised there, Nelson's Column. In 1847, the square was renamed in honor of Jacques Cartier, the explorer. The broad, divided street slopes steeply downhill from Montreal City Hall and rue Notre-Dame to the waterfront and rue de la Commune. It is a car-free zone in the summer. Source: Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page (accessed 6/24/2015

Topics: cityscape, City planning, Nineteenth century
Year: 1847
OAI identifier: oai:dome.mit.edu:1721.3/180035
Provided by: MIT Libraries Dome
Download PDF:
Sorry, we are unable to provide the full text but you may find it at the following location(s):
  • http://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/1... (external link)
  • Suggested articles


    To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.