Article thumbnail

Prospect Park Plaza

By Sr. Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux

Abstract

Grand Army Plaza, entrance ensemble, with a curved side walk and four columns, view of the walkway; Grand Army Plaza in Brooklyn, New York is an 11-acre (4.4 hectare) oval plaza that forms the main entrance to Prospect Park. It was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux in 1867. It consists of concentric rings arranged as streets, with the outer ring being named Plaza Street. Originally known as Prospect Park Plaza, but renamed in 1926, it is perhaps best known for the Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial Arch, Brooklyn's version of the Arc de Triomphe. It is also the site of the Bailey Fountain, and a monument to John F. Kennedy, as well as statues of Civil War generals Gouverneur Kemble Warren and Henry Warner Slocum, along with busts of notable Brooklyn citizens Alexander J.C. Skene and Henry W. Maxwell. Source: Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page (accessed 2/9/2008

Topics: architectural exteriors, recreation and games, festivals, parks (recreation areas), Nineteenth century
Year: 1867
OAI identifier: oai:dome.mit.edu:1721.3/132606
Provided by: MIT Libraries Dome
Download PDF:
Sorry, we are unable to provide the full text but you may find it at the following location(s):
  • http://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/1... (external link)
  • Suggested articles


    To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.