Article thumbnail

Museo Nacional de Cerámica

By Hipólito Rovira Brocandel and Ignacio Vergara

Abstract

North facade, upper floors and towers (altered 1853-1867); The original Gothic building dates to the 15th century, rebuilt in 1740. Embellished with carvings of fruits and vegetables, the Baroque alabaster entry facade was carved in 1740 by Ignacio Vergara, to a design by Hipólito Rovira, who also painted the facade with frescoes. The entry features two male figures representing the Dos Aguas (Two Waters), a reference to Valencia's two main rivers and the origin of the noble title of the Marqués de Dos Aguas. In 1853-1867 the palace was remodeled again and Rovira's frescoes painted over, replaced with stucco and faux marbre. The French style Juliet balconies were also added. Since 1954, the palace has housed the Museo Nacional de Cerámica. Source: Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page (accessed 8/2/2014

Topics: architecture, decorative arts, Rococo, Baroque, Nineteenth century
Year: 2014
OAI identifier: oai:dome.mit.edu:1721.3/170262
Provided by: MIT Libraries Dome
Download PDF:
Sorry, we are unable to provide the full text but you may find it at the following location(s):
  • http://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/1... (external link)
  • Suggested articles


    To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.