Town and mountains

Abstract

This photograph showing buildings in the foreground and mountains in the background is part of the Sherrill Studio Collection. George Dexter Sherrill (1879–1931) opened the first photography studio in Haywood County on Depot Street in downtown Waynesville in 1902. In 1906 his studio became the first Eastman Kodak franchise west of Asheville and the third in North Carolina. Sherrill’s photography roots began in Jackson County where he learned the art from his brother-in-law, A. L. Ensley. Beulah Eloise Ashe Ensley (1899-1991) apprenticed with Sherrill in 1917 and worked in the studio with her husband, Sherrill’s nephew, Ralph Ensley (1894-1975) until Ralph’s death. The Ensley’s demolished the original studio in 1943, dug the site to street level, and built an International style building

Similar works

Full text

thumbnail-image

Hunter Library Digital Collections (Western Carolina University)

Full text is not available
oai:wcudigitalcollection.contentdm.oclc.org:p16232coll1/3504Last time updated on 5/12/2020

Having an issue?

Is data on this page outdated, violates copyrights or anything else? Report the problem now and we will take corresponding actions after reviewing your request.