Article thumbnail

DEVELOPMENT OF FLY-ASH BASED GEOPOLYMER FOR CORROSION RESISTANT COATING

By BAHARUDIN MAT HUSSAIN

Abstract

Production of fly ash is 6 x I 08 ton annually and is projected to increase. Only 20% is utilized in construction industry and the rest 80% goes to landfills. It had been reported that geopolymer has high resistance to corrosion attack. This project aims to investigate the feasibility of fly ash based geopolymer as corrosion resistant coating. The properties studied are compressive strength, setting time, chemical leaching, resistance to chemical attack, adhesive strength, water absorption, density change and microstructure evolution. Steel plates coated with the geopolymer had been tested in simulated corrosive environment. The geopolymer has high compressive strength, little chemical leaching, low water absorption, short setting time and increasing density pattern. Based on the results, it is believed that fly ash based geopolymer is feasible to be used as base material for corrosion resistant coating. Thusly, this project is a step towards increasing knowledge of industrial waste utilization by adding value to fly ash to convert it to geopolymer. Its success may benefrt to reserve finances and at the same time to accentuate our affirmation in environmental guardianship

Topics: TP Chemical technology
Publisher: Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS
Year: 2011
OAI identifier: oai:generic.eprints.org:10391/core10784
Provided by: UTPedia

Suggested articles


To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.