Article thumbnail

Education Provision to Internally Displaced Children in Northern Shan and Kachin States in Burma

By Nang K Thwe


Thousands of people have been displaced from their villages and have remained in the internally displaced camps since the fighting resumed in Northern Shan and Kachin states in Myanmar (Burma) in 2011. Displaced families and children experience a number of challenges in the camps, one of which is access to education. This capstone explores the non-governmental organization professionals’ perspectives about the challenges they face with regards to providing quality education to displaced children in Burma through these research questions: 1) How do NGO professionals address the challenges they experience in the provision of education to internally displaced children in Burma? 2) How do NGO professionals ensure the provision of a quality education to internally displaced children in Burma? Drawing on a qualitative research methodology employing individual interviews and document analysis, the findings revealed four main challenges organizations experience in education provision to internally displaced children: access to internally displaced persons (IDPs); collecting comprehensive data of IDPs and displaced students; coordination with the national government; and funding for education for displaced children. These challenges are complicated by Myanmar’s internal politics, which further makes it difficult for international organizations to provide education to displaced children

Topics: Educational Assessment, Evaluation, and Research, Humane Education, International and Comparative Education
Publisher: SIT Digital Collections
Year: 2018
OAI identifier:
Provided by: World Learning
Download PDF:
Sorry, we are unable to provide the full text but you may find it at the following location(s):
  • https://digitalcollections.sit... (external link)
  • https://digitalcollections.sit... (external link)
  • Suggested articles

    To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.