Skip to main content
Article thumbnail
Location of Repository

Reference: FASB Statement No. 66, Accounting for Sales of Real Estate ISSUE

By 

Abstract

Party A has a 75 percent interest in real estate and Party B has the other 25 percent interest. Party A sells its interest to Party B and receives a 10 percent cash down payment and a note for the balance of the sales price. For this transaction, paragraph 54 of Statement 66 specifies a minimum required initial investment of 15 percent of the sales value. Party B pledges the 100 percent interest in the property as security for the note to Party A; no debt is outstanding on the property. Under paragraph 9 of Statement 66, only the 10 percent cash down payment of Party B would be included as part of the buyer's initial investment. Paragraph 11 of Statement 66 states that the initial investment should "be adequate to demonstrate the buyer's commitment to pay for the property and shall indicate a reasonable likelihood that the seller will collect the receivable." The issues are: 1. Whether the buyer's ownership interest in a purchased property that is pledged as security for a note should be included as part of the buyer's initial investment in determining whether profit may be recognized under the full accrual method 2. If so, in other situations in which a note is collateralized by assets other than the purchased property (for example, other real estate properties or marketable securities), whether those assets should be included as part of the buyer's initial investment in determining whether profit may be recognized under the full accrual method. Copyright © 1988, Financial Accounting Standards Board Not for redistributio

Topics: Copyright © 1988, Financial Accounting Standards Board
Year: 1988
OAI identifier: oai:CiteSeerX.psu:10.1.1.353.2054
Provided by: CiteSeerX
Download PDF:
Sorry, we are unable to provide the full text but you may find it at the following location(s):
  • http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/v... (external link)
  • Suggested articles


    To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.