Radulovich Block, Tucson, Arizona

Abstract

This building, known as the Radulovich block, was modern and up to the minute in Tucson over 70 years ago. Build in the late 80's, it was destroyed by fire on a Sunday morning in the fall of 1898 [1897?]. Luke Radulovich, who built and owned the block, was an Austrian born in the province of Dalmatia in 1859, came to the United States in 1873 and to the Old Pueblo in 1882, when he purchased a half interest in the grocery of Grossetta & Co. Later he was in partnership in the Tucson Grocery Co., which occupied the east store of the three in the building shown here, facing Congress Street. The building was located at the northeast corner of Congress and Stone, the present Lerner's corner The building was brick, with wrought iron trim, a handsome building which was a showplace of the business district. The corner of the building was occupied by the post office. Charlie F. Hoff, who once ran for mayor, had a wagon and buggy shop in the store east of the post office. On the Stone avenue side of the block, at the north end, were the Wells-Fargo express office and the stairway which led upstairs to the Masonic Hall, the main office and central exchange of the telephone company, and others. At the time this building was destroyed by flames, the city water pressure was so low the hose stream would not reach even to the first floor awnings. Gift of Mrs. Ward Shelby

Similar works

Having an issue?

Is data on this page outdated, violates copyrights or anything else? Report the problem now and we will take corresponding actions after reviewing your request.