Article thumbnail

The Triangle, October, 1891

By 

Abstract

The Triangle was first published by the students in the Physical Department of the Y.M.C.A. Training School in February 1891. By June, 1891, the monthly journal was published by the Triangle Publishing Company, located at ‘Corner State and Sherman Streets’, for 10 months each year, subscription price at $1.00 per year or 15 cents per copy, and a circulation of 1,000 copies per month. Dr. Luther Gulick served as President, James Naismith, editor, and F. N. Seerley, Business Manager. The game of Basketball was introduced in the Triangle in the January 15, 1892 edition (Vol. 1, No. 10, p. 144-147) in a four-page article written by James Naismith and included the original 13 rules. Contributing authors included notables in the field such as H. Kallenberg, R. Tait McKenzie, and Amos Alonzo Stagg, E. Hitchcock, Amy Morriss Homans, Dudley Sargent, and William Anderson. The magazine had editorials, book reviews, ‘unobjectionable’ advertisements, and articles about baseball, football, gymnastics, volleyball, exercise, ethics of sport, changes in the official basketball rules, physical training for those with disabilities, physical education for women, and influential figures. By March 1892, the name of the journal was changed from Triangle to Physical Education. The last issue was published in July 1896

Topics: Physical Education; Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA); Basketball; Football; Gymnastics; ethics of sport; Gymnasiums; health; fitness; exercise;
Publisher: The Triangle Publishing Company
Year: 1891
OAI identifier: oai:cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org:p15370coll3/430
Download PDF:
Sorry, we are unable to provide the full text but you may find it at the following location(s):
  • http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc... (external link)
  • Suggested articles


    To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.