Location of Repository

THE MACHO PROJECT LMC VARIABLE STAR INVENTORY. IX. FREQUENCY ANALYSIS OF THE FIRST OVERTONE RR LYRAE STARS AND THE INDICATION FOR NONRADIAL PULSATIONS

By 

Abstract

More than 1300 variables classified provisionally as first overtone RR Lyrae pulsators in the macho variable star database of the Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC) have been subjected to standard frequency analysis. Based on the remnant power in the prewhitened spectra, we found 70 % of the total population to be monoperiodic. The remaining 30 % (411 stars) are classified as one of 9 types according to their frequency spectra. Several types of RR Lyrae pulsational behavior are clearly identified here for the first time. Together with the earlier discovered double-mode (fundamental & first overtone) variables this study increased the number of the known double-mode stars in the LMC to 181. During the total 6.5 yr time span of the data, 10 % of the stars show strong period changes. The size, and in general also the patterns of the period changes exclude simple evolutionary explanation. We also discovered two additional types of multifrequency pulsators with low occurrence rates of 2 % for each. In the first type there remains one closely spaced component after prewhitening by the main pulsation frequency. In the second type the number of remnant components is two, they are also closely spaced, and, in addition, they are symmetric in their frequency spacing relative to the central component. This latter type of variables is associated with their relatives among the fundamental pulsators, known as Blazhko variables. Their hig

Year: 2000
OAI identifier: oai:CiteSeerX.psu:10.1.1.316.9542
Provided by: CiteSeerX
Download PDF:
Sorry, we are unable to provide the full text but you may find it at the following location(s):
  • http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/v... (external link)
  • http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/... (external link)
  • Suggested articles


    To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.