Location of Repository

Preprint typeset using L ATEX style emulateapj v. 04/03/99 IDENTIFICATION OF TWO CATEGORIES OF OPTICALLY BRIGHT γ-RAY BURSTS

By Enwei Liang and Bing Zhang

Abstract

We present the results of a systematical analysis of the intrinsic optical afterglow light curves for a complete sample of gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) observed in the period from Feb. 1997 to Aug. 2005. These light curves are generally well-sampled, with at least four detections in the R band. The redshifts of all the bursts in the sample are available. We derive the intrinsic R band afterglow lightcurves (luminosity versus time within the cosmic proper rest frame) for these GRBs, and discover a fact that they essentially follow two universal tracks after 2 hours since the GRB triggers. The optical luminosities at 1 day show a clear bimodal distribution, peaking at 1.4 × 10 46 ergs s −1 for the luminous group and 5.3 ×10 44 ergs s −1 for the dim group. About 75 % of the GRBs are in the luminous group, and the other 25 % belong to the dim group. While the luminous group has a wide range of redshift distribution, the bursts in the dim group all appear at a redshift lower than 1.1

Year: 2008
OAI identifier: oai:CiteSeerX.psu:10.1.1.315.997
Provided by: CiteSeerX
Download PDF:
Sorry, we are unable to provide the full text but you may find it at the following location(s):
  • http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/v... (external link)
  • http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/... (external link)
  • Suggested articles


    To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.