Skip to main content
Article thumbnail
Location of Repository

Access to Orders for Protection



In Nevada, minors can obtain Orders for Protection (OPs), 1 but the law prohibits OPs against minor abusers. 2 Nevada allows people in dating relationships to seek OPs against their abusers. 3 Procedure State law does not specify whether minors can petition for OPs on their own behalf. A parent or guardian may petition for an OP on the minor’s behalf. 4 If a minor is able to file on their own behalf, Nevada law does not specify whether the parent or guardian of the minor will be notified about the OP. Definition of Abuse A judge may issue an OP when the respondent has physically abused, sexually abused, threatened to physically abuse, stalked or harassed the petitioner; or damaged the petitioner's property. 5 The statute may recognize other forms of abuse not specifically listed here. Relief Available The court may order 6 the respondent to: stay away from the petitioner (including petitioner's school); vacate the petitioner's residence; comply with a custody/visitation schedule; pay child support; pay attorneys ' fees; pay restitution for other harm; and/or other relief within the court's discretion. The statute may allow other forms of relief not specifically listed here and may cover individuals other than the petitioner. The Order for Protection is modifiable. 7 Minors ’ Access to Sensitive Services 8,9 All minors can consent to: • HIV/STI testing and treatment • Adoption • Medical care for minor child(ren) Some minors can consent to contraceptive services and prenatal care. State law requires parental notice for abortion services, but is currently enjoined by court order. School Response t

Year: 2011
OAI identifier: oai:CiteSeerX.psu:
Provided by: CiteSeerX
Download PDF:
Sorry, we are unable to provide the full text but you may find it at the following location(s):
  • (external link)
  • (external link)
  • Suggested articles

    To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.