SHELBURNE FALLS – The vision of extending existing trolley car operations through Shelburne Falls is taking its next step, with an engineering study of the proposed right of way. Fourteen Senior University of Massachusetts engineering students will conduct a comprehensive final project by evaluating the right of way for the Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum from the present museum to the Iron Bridge in Shelburne Falls. The return of the trolley car operations to downtown will be a historic moment, after ceasing almost exactly 80 years ago, when the last trolley operated over these sections to Colrain. The engineering study will commence this month by four teams. The Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum hopes to expand the current abbreviated trolley ride with the planned expansion into Shelburne Falls. The museum already operates weekends and holidays on approximately one eighth of a mile of existing railroad tracks once owned by the Boston and Maine railroad in Shelburne Falls. The engineering survey starts the first steps of re-building the original right of way of the Shelburne Falls and Colrain Street Railway, which was abandoned in 1927 and paved the way for the Bridge of Flowers attraction when the tracks were lifted. The University of Massachusetts engineering students plan to accomplish the following: • Analysis of the retaining wall on Depot Street to ensure it can withstand light rail trolley operations. Depot Street was once the right of way of the original trolley line. • Survey of the yard and Depot Street, tying in to existing surveys of th
To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.