This collection contains the most significant internal records of the Sofia M. Gurevitch gymnasiumâs early years, including the official documents giving permission for the founding and expansion of the school. There are also pedagogical materials, including student work and lesson plans, dating primarily from the later period of the schoolâs existence. These materials illustrate a Jewish schoolâs relationship with the Russian government before WWI, and the transformation of its pedagogy, as it shifted focus to become a Yiddish-language secular school in the 1930s.The records relate mostly to the activities of the school during its early period, 1906-1922. General office correspondence. Student and teachers correspondence. Minutes of the meetings of the Pedagogical Council. Official government documents, 1906. Register of students. Diplomas, report cards, classroom work, notes on lessons, curriculum. Student club. Printed materials, invitations, clippings. Old inventory to the S.M. Gurevitch records in YIVO, Vilna.LabeledSecular Yiddish high school founded in Vilna in 1906 by S.M. Gurevitch and P.P. Antokolski. From 1906 to 1915 it functioned as a Jewish high school with Russian as the language of instruction. In 1918 the school adopted a Yiddishist secular approach and was known for its high scholastic standards and progressive methods
To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.