Some twenty schools had been built in the Proving Ground area from the 1820s to 1941. The first, Oakdale School, located in Monroe Township, was built of hewn logs in 1829 and accommodated 30-40 pupils. This stone building was erected in the 1860s and served its final 21 students until closing February, 1941. The families were relocated and the children attended other schools. It is the single surviving schoolhouse in the Proving Ground.Destination Indiana Jefferson Proving Ground Journe
To submit an update or takedown request for this paper, please submit an Update/Correction/Removal Request.